viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surukai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

Am I totally wrong or is it you that is working on such "mod" ?

Today the forum "looses" the portal once you start viewing forums and topics (in mx regular) but you seem to have solved some of those problems and I am wondering how the status of this is. Is it in development?

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

Well, indeed I'm testing different approaches about this feature, when done will be also packed with a new module I'm working on.. ForumBlocks.

So... this post moved to correct forum. Smile

I've found the way to view any phpBB page inside a portal IFrame with just a little MOD to apply only for those phpBB pages that you need/want to view in a portal page.

There are still a couple of problems to solve. It seems some phpBB using HTTP POST variables do not work, yet. For instance, viewtopic. Others do work pretty well. For instance: Search.

Another problem is how to resize the IFrame dynamically.

...investigating. :eusa_think:

Do you like the way it works here? ...or are those redirections (from forum to portal iframe and viceversa) weird? Confused

Surukai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

I like the idea of having the forums inside the portal. I would defenetly prefer to have it that way. But, isn't it possible to make it integrated without an IFRAME?

I am thinking about compability issues.. either way, the Iframe doesn't appear wierd Smile

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

Surukai wrote:
I like the idea of having the forums inside the portal. I would defenetly prefer to have it that way. But, isn't it possible to make it integrated without an IFRAME?

Sure, but it will require to duplicate the code... making it odd when someone wants/needs to apply one of those nice phpBB MODs out there.

Surukai wrote:
I am thinking about compability issues...

All major browsers do support IFRAMES (see below) and people should use tools as up to date as possible due to security holes all around...

...so I think such approach is, at least, valid. Even though, It will be optional (user side) to view the forum pages within the portal or not. Admin will be able to select which pages are enabled as portal blocks and whether the user can switch. Working on it...

Borrowed from Google AdSense technical implementation guidelines.

Google AdSense Tech FAQ wrote:
The following browsers support iframes:

Windows
  • Internet Explorer 4.0+
  • Mozilla 1.0+
  • Netscape 6.0+
  • Opera 4.02+
Macintosh
  • Internet Explorer 3.0+ (5.5+ on OS X)
  • Mozilla 1.0+
  • Netscape 6.0+ (6.1+ on OS X)
  • Opera 5.0+
Linux
  • Galleon 1.2+
  • Mozilla 1.0+
  • Netscape 6.0+
  • Opera 5.0+
Unix
  • Internet Explorer 4.01+
  • Mozilla 1.0+
  • Opera 5.0+ (Solaris/SPARC)
BeOS
  • BeZilla 1.0+
  • Opera 3.62+
OS/2
  • Opera 5.12+
  • WarpZilla 1.0+

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

markus_petrux wrote:
Another problem is how to resize the IFrame dynamically.

...investigating. :eusa_think:

Well, now I'm testing this little javascript function which seems to work pretty well with NS7 and IE6.
Code:
function setIFrameHeight()
{
   if( document.body )
   {
      if( typeof(document.body.scrollHeight) != 'undefined' )
      {
         divForum.style.height = (parseInt(ifrForum.document.body.scrollHeight)+10)+'px';
         ifrForum.document.body.scroll = 'no';
      }
      else if( document.getElementById && typeof(document.body.offsetHeight) == 'number' )
      {
         x = document.getElementById('divForum');
         x.style.height = (parseInt(ifrForum.document.body.offsetHeight)+20)+'px';
         ifrForum.document.body.scroll = 'no';
      }
   }
}

The IFRAME (width and height 100%) is contained inside a DIV which has a 100% width and a default height (400px) specified by BlockSettings.

Function setIFrameHeight() is called on load of the main window (using object detection, instead of browser detection) and resizes the DIV (container of our IFRAME) dynamically. ...so other browsers will just see an auto scrollable block.

What do you think? ...suggestions?

I'm going to write all documentation...

Surukai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: viewforum and viewtopic inside the portal? Reply with quote

Honestly I'd prefer to see the whole topic-list at once and not have additional scrollbars all over the place. But, maybe an option to switch between then would be useful. 
markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping an old topic. Mr. Green

Here's a tip for those who want to try with IFrames:
http://www.phpmix.org/iframe_height_auto_resize

Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: