[request] mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: [request] mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

in your welcome block, it doesnt erase the new posts since last visit when u mark all forums read; it also adds your posts in that session to the number.

is there a way to fix that?

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: mark forums read Reply with quote

I believe it's not a bug, it's the expected result.

The "View posts since last visit" link points to a phpBB function of the search script (search_id=newposts). The number you see should be the count of posts reported for that function.

Note this phpBB concept is not the same as unread posts. It is ALL posts since your last visit (in the context of the current session).

Christoph
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

i see, that makes sense.
so, if i wanted to just display the unread ones, and have them marked read and not appear in the welcome block as new messages anymore, how would i do that?

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

Well, if you want to remove the number (between parentesis) of "posts since last visit" in the Welcome link, proceed as follows:
Code:
#
# ---[ OPEN ]----------
#
mxroot/modules/mx_tinies/welcome.php

#
# ---[ FIND ]----------
#
   $s_search_new = $lang['Search_new'].' ('.$row['total'].')';

#
# ---[ REPLACE WITH ]----------
#
   $s_search_new = $lang['Search_new'];

#
# ---[ SAVE ]----------
#

I can't help you if you want to change the behavior of the report of posts since last visit. Which is part of the phpBB search script, not part of the mx_tinies module. Hmmm... maybe I could add this function in the future.

Another way to track unread posts is by using the LastMessage block. Unread messages are marked with a special icon everywhere, also in the "post since last visit" report of phpBB search script. Rolling Eyes

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

Well, I'll try to create a new script to support this function (view unread posts), ok?

Also a new block parameter just to select if you want to see the number of posts between parentesis ...cause if shown, it means more queries.

Please, wait a week or two... Rolling Eyes

Christoph
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

thats cool Very Happy
no problem! and ya i could've just deleted the stuff in parenthesis, but i like it. i also added check for private messages, in case ur interested in the code....

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

Hi!

Version 1.0.1 released Wink

As per the PM link, I'm not sure if usefull here, it is already implemented in the standard portal header. And it would add more overhead...

Cheers

Christoph
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

well my theme didnt have that in the header, so i had to add it Very Happy 
markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

Well, the code is in mx/includes/page_header.php and all you have to do to see it in your header template is use {L_PRIVATEMSGS} as text for the link to PM pages. Please, tell me if you need help here.

Anyway, I hope you may find it easy to add stuff to the welcome template. Smile

Cheers

Christoph
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: mark forums read -vs- posts since last visit Reply with quote

well, ya, i already did add it.....but thanks for the help! 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: