google custom search

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> phpBB MODs Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KugeLSichA
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: google custom search Reply with quote

Hi there...

your forum looks really nice... i come via google and phpBB to this side because first i was looking for Dynamic signatures...

But i seen one other great thing...

at the news u have an little "G" image with a link to the google custom search, and at the buttom the link "google this"...

is this as MOD available? or can u help me to integrate this on my forum please?

thx in advance

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry, it isn't a MOD for phpBB, but a custom thingy I made in the portal side. It's based on Drupal, so the back end is very different to easily convert the code for phpBB.

That being said, I also thought about creating a BBCode for phpBB, but that requires time... maybe one of these days.

The link is built with all the AdSense information, so clicks to ads displayed for such searches might compute. The bad news is I do not get too much clicks. lol

KugeLSichA
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi markus,

thx for reply

markus wrote:
Hi!

Sorry, it isn't a MOD for phpBB, but a custom thingy I made in the portal side. It's based on Drupal, so the back end is very different to easily convert the code for phpBB.

That being said, I also thought about creating a BBCode for phpBB, but that requires time... maybe one of these days.

So did i understand right that u would try to made an BBCode of this?

Quote:
The link is built with all the AdSense information, so clicks to ads displayed for such searches might compute. The bad news is I do not get too much clicks. lol

you got one from me today Wink

ok i think its because the "G" image is too small, and there is a link before this... so most users donīt mouseover the "G" and click on the link... not sure but i think so...

greetings

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KugeLSichA wrote:
So did i understand right that u would try to made an BBCode of this?

Well, yes, a BBCode for phpBB forums. There's already a Google BBCode (by wGEric), but it doesn't use your custom AdSense for Search stuff)...

KugeLSichA wrote:
ok i think its because the "G" image is too small, and there is a link before this... so most users donīt mouseover the "G" and click on the link... not sure but i think so...

The "G" is small because it has been deliverately injected into the content.

What I did on my site is inject a filter that parses the content for HTML anchors, extracts their text and builds a new link to "google about it" (using my custom AdSense for Search stuff), that is placed behind the small "G"oogle logo, next to each link.

I mean, the filter is kind of blind in that you can't control what it takes to build "google about it" links. It takes the text of all HTML anchors.

I'm not really happy about this behaviour, so that's basically the reason I haven't made any distributable implementation out of it. The other reason is spare time to work a little bit more on the idea... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> phpBB MODs Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: