[DISC] DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD v1.1.1

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> DHTML Collapsible Forum Index
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: [DISC] DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD v1.1.1 Reply with quote

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Due to lack of time, I decided to officially discontinue further development of this MOD, including support.

One of the things that, at some point in time, delayed this MOD is I was waiting for CH210 to get released. When it was released, I had no time to spend here, and now... I do not have time to offer support either, to be honest.

I would be very happy, if anyone would like to take over the MOD. Just drop me a PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
phpBB topic for this MOD:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=219286

MOD Title: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD

MOD Version: 1.1.1 (CH version in DEV stage)

MOD Description: This MOD uses DHTML to replace the effect of the GET variable "c" on Forum Index (which requires to send a request to the server). So, it expands/collapses forum categories on the browser itself. It should work on latests versions of all major browsers, and is supposed to degrade correctly on non-supported browsers (ie: all categories remain open).

Notes: This MOD now includes two different implementations:
a) First one works for "standard" Forum Index.
b) Another one (in contrib folder) for Categories Hierarchy MOD 2.0.4.
Please, for further information, read Author Notes (MOD Header below).

Known Issues:

At this moment, this MOD does NOT support sub-forums! (see author notes in MOD header, below).

By sub-forums I mean forums attached to forums.

If you try to use this MOD with sub-forums, you'll figure soon why it doesn't work.

a) In forum index, they are rendered as forums rather than categories.
b) sub-forums generate several javascript errors.

As per this version, I'm afraid, it will not support sub-forums. As I still don't know how to deal with them.

Workaround:

Let's say you have this:
-Category 1
---Forum 1
-----Forum 2
-----Forum 3
---Forum 4
-----Forum 5
-----Forum 6

For ALL forums containing sub-forums (1 and 4 in the example):
1) Create a new category attached to its parent.
2) Attach ALL sub-forums to new category.

So, it should look like this:
-Category 1
---Forum 1
---New Category A
-----Forum 2
-----Forum 3
---Forum 4
---New Category B
-----Forum 5
-----Forum 6

DEMO:
* DHTML Collapsible Forum Index for Categories Hierarchy MOD v1.0.4

Download:
http://www.phpmix.org/projects

MOD Headers:
Code:
##############################################################
## MOD Title: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index
## MOD Author: markus_petrux < phpbb.mods@phpmix.com > (Markus) http://www.phpmix.com
## MOD Description: This MOD uses DHTML to replace the effect of the GET variable "c" on Forum Index (which requires to send
##     a request to the server). So, it expands/collapses forum categories on the browser itself. It should work on latests versions
##     of all major browsers, and is supposed to degrade correctly on non-supported browsers (ie: all categories remain open).
## MOD Version: 1.1.1
##
## Installation Level: (Easy)
## Installation Time: 10 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 5
##    index.php
##    language/lang_english/lang_main.php
##    includes/functions.php
##    templates/subSilver/subSilver.cfg
##    templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
## Included Files: 5
##    templates/collapsible_forum_index.js
##    images/icon_up_arrow.gif
##    images/icon_down_arrow.gif
##    images/icon_sign_plus.gif
##    images/icon_sign_minus.gif
## For Security Purposes, Please Check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the
## latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code
## to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MOD's not offered
## in our MOD-Database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes:
##
## phpBB related:
## - Tested with phpBB 2.0.10
## - It is highly recommened to use EasyMOD to install this MOD.
##
## MOD Script related:
## - This MOD Script has been written with EasyMOD in mind, so it tries to avoid conflicts with other
##   MODs that you may have previously installed against the same files modifies here.
## - That means it may be somehow complex to follow this MOD actions manually, so... I highly recommend
##   to use EasyMOD to install this MOD. :P
## - On the other hand, I have added several comments, aimed to help you if you can't use EasyMOD for
##   whatever reason. Anyway, think twice and take it easy ...also make backups, just in case. ;-)
##
## DHTML related:
## - It's based on the onclick event for TR tag and style.display attribute.
## - It should work on latests versions of all major browsers.
## - It has been tested and works on:
##   MSIE 6, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.7.2, Firefox 0.9.3, Opera 7, Mozilla/Linux and Konqueror 3.x
##   No feedback on Mac browsers, yet, but probably works on IEMac 5 and Safari.
## - It has been tested and degardes gracefully on:
##   W3C Amaya, Hotjava 3, Netscape 4, Opera 5 and 6.
## - Degrading means its features are completely disabled, so users with legacy browsers or javascript disabled
##   will not notice this MOD is there, as Forum Index will behave as standard.
##
## Categories Hierarchy MOD (CH) related:
## - In the contrib folder, you'll find another version of this MOD that works with CH.
##   *** IMPORTANT *** It ONLY works with version 2.0.4 of Categories Hierarchy MOD !!!
## - Both MOD scripts shared the same Author Notes and MOD History sections.
##   Though, they have different names. The one on the contrib folder is suffixed by (CH).
## - For Categories Hierarchy MOD, it works when Index Packing is set to None or Medium.
##   However, it is disabled when it is set as Full. It also supports Split Categories on Index enabled or disabled.
##   *** WARNING ***
##   PROBLEM: It does NOT support sub-forums !!!
##   Problem with categories as sub-forums is they are rendered as forums. TBH, at this time, I don't know
##   how to deal with this layout (I mean, a reasonable approach). Maybe for next version. ;-)
##   WORKAROUND: you should create a new category and convert the current category/sub-forum as a plain forum
##   under (attached to) that category.
##
## MOD History:
##
## 2004/09/07 - 1.1.1
## - Fixed bug with CFI cookie names. Solves a problem with initial categories state for CH version.
##
## 2004/09/06 - 1.1.0
## - Added support for Categories Hierarchy MOD (CH v2.0.4). Please, read author notes (above).
## - Almost all javascript code has been re-written with a more Object Oriented approach.
## - Added CFI options panel, allows expand/collapse all, and save/restore additional state.
##
## 2004/08/22 - 1.0.3
## - Added check for display attribute support to the onload event.
## - Fixed management of the display queue.
##
## 2004/08/22 - 1.0.2
## - Added state persistence using cookies.
##   It will not collapse a category when expanding another one. And it will remind which categories are
##   expanded between sessions (using cookies). So, the end-user will be able to set the state of the
##   forum index exactly as he/she wishes.
##   The expand/collapse effect will work on all supported browsers and, for non-supported browsers,
##   degrade to standard behaviour. ie. all categories remain open and the GET var c=xx is not disabled.
##
## 2004/08/20 - 1.0.1
## - Fixed an issue with display='block'. Firefox failed to display correctly the row.
##   It now uses display=''. Works with IE, Firefox, Mozilla 1.7+
##   For browsers supporting display attribute, the GET var c=xx is disabled.
## - The display attribute is not supported by Opera(*) and legacy browsers. In such case,
##   the categories are initially opened ...and the GET var c=xx is enabled.
##   Note(*): Opera 5/6 has the display attribute, but can't be changed !!!
##
## 2004/08/20 - 1.0.0
## - Initial release
##
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD

Code:
## MOD Title: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index (CH204)
## MOD Author: markus_petrux < phpbb.mods@phpmix.com > (Markus) http://www.phpmix.com
## MOD Description: This MOD uses DHTML to replace the effect of the GET variable "c" on Forum Index (which requires to send
##     a request to the server). So, it expands/collapses forum categories on the browser itself. It should work on latests versions
##     of all major browsers, and is supposed to degrade correctly on non-supported browsers (ie: all categories remain open).
## MOD Version: 1.1.1(ch204)
##
## Installation Level: (Intermediate)
## Installation Time: 15 Minutes
## Files To Edit: 7
##    index.php
##    language/lang_english/lang_main.php
##    includes/functions.php
##    includes/functions_categories_hierarchy.php
##    templates/subSilver/subSilver.cfg
##    templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl
##    templates/subSilver/index_box.tpl
## Included Files: 2
##    templates/collapsible_forum_index.js
##    images/icon_sign_plus.gif
##    images/icon_sign_minus.gif

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD (1.0.3) Reply with quote

Updated the code for the 1.0.4 DEMO.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Please, jump to the Beta topic for this MOD at phpBB site. Thank you. Wink

PS: Both links on top of this topic.

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD (1.0.3) Reply with quote

This site is now running version 1.1.0 of this MOD.

Please note, this is not available for download, yet. It will very soon, though.

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD (1.0.3) Reply with quote

ok, ZIP updated to version 1.1.0 Exclamation

Smile

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML Collapsible Forum Index MOD (1.1.1) [RC] Reply with quote

ZIP updated to version 1.1.1 Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Fixes:
Well, I'm so sorry but there was a bug introduced when adding support for Index Packing Medium (added in 1.1.0). Confused

Although, it is only noticable for Cat.Hierarchy, it affects both implementations of the MOD. The problem is related to the way the cookie names were generated. This is now fixed, so when running with CH, it will generate correct display attributes for initial display of the page.

The good news is I have included upgrade scripts.

I'm so sorry for those that have already spend the time to test 1.1.0. Confused

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> DHTML Collapsible Forum Index All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: