DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> DHTML Collapsible Forum Index
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ciao121
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
great great mod :eusa_clap:

I'd like to have all my categorie collapsed by default (after installing the mod categories are all expanded); I want this to be the default state for each visitor.

I deleted the option for the user to save and restore state because I want that, each time he come back, all categories are disabled, so I think I can avoid using cookies (but I cant figure out how to do Embarassed)

Can someone help me?

Thank you Smile

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

1) Thanks for your comments. Smile

2) What you're asking here is not really easy. This MOD is abosolutely based on cookies. So that means a complete rewrite, I'm afraid.

Development of this MOD was delayed, just waiting the final version of Categories Hierarchy MOD 2.1.0.

When CH210 is finished and when I find the time, I'll restart development of this MOD. I'll try to provide some kind of option to allow admins to set collapsed/expanded defaults or something. I'll still need to think which is the best approach for this.

Main restriction for this kind of features is cross-browser compatibility. The BIG problem is browsers like Opera5/6 support the display attribute, but it is read-only, so one can't simply generate display:none by default for all visitors. The browser must be detected! ...and there's no reliable way to do it server side, since most browsers allow the user to change the useragent string.

What does that mean? Not really easy, but I'll try to do my best. Wink

Ciao121
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply.

My problem is that I have LOT forums in about 15 Categories and if all categories are expanded the index page is very very long.

In the meantime I was thinking to leave the option for the user to save his preferences, so cookies are ok...

I'll try to find a solution, maybe collapsing all my forums, saving the cookie, and then making it the first cookie sent to a new user (I don't know how, I'm not really a programmer but I'm hard like a donkey - don't know if this make sense in english Very Happy)

Thank anyway Smile

boxter
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

how exactly do you do this even with cookies? This is a feature that I would like and I think most people would like as it is the main benefit of the collapsible menus.. that is, people dont see a huge list of forums at the index page.

Andrew

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Oh, well, in spite of admin's desires, this MOD will still use cookies to allow users set the forum index view the way they wish.

So, I agree with you boxter. This is the main benefit of this MOD.

However, it could be added an option for Admins to set a default state (expanded/collapsed) at, perhaps, forum level.

So, the user could save his own settings, collapse/expand all, but also reset default board layout.

...or something like this.

Keep in mind that user's settings should be saved using cookies, as it is my own wish to make almost all features of this MOD something that runs client side.

Quinn
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Again, a great Mod!

I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a simple way to add this to a recently added theme? I have it installed on a few other themes that were on the site and recently added a new one and want to implament this on the new theme as well.

2) Are you planning to do a ACP mod for MX-Portal as well? I installed the portal after doing the phpBB mod for the ACP. The Portal ACP is a very long scroll and would benefit greatly from this.

Thanks again for both the forum and ACP mods!

boxter
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Hi,

In terms of the collapsed by default idea I mean it should be collapsed at the start for all users because my users dont want to have to mess around with options and preferences like that. Most people would prefer to have it collapsed at the start anyway so I think it would be better if it was in the collapsed state for all users.

Couldnt this be achieved by simply running the "collapse all" command when the page loads? that is, the CFIG.cmd('collapseAll");?
I dont know how but it seems like it would work.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of the underlines on the category titles when hovered over? I tried editing the .css files but it didnt change anything.

Andrew

boxter
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

OH there is a MAJOR problem with this mod.

Before applying the mod, phpBB2/index.php?c=(category number) would have a page that showed that particular category expanded and the rest hidden. Now they are all expanded. This is a major problem as I have links on my main page that take advantage of this feature and now it is gone!!!

Andrew

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Quinn:

1) I assume that you installed the MOD using EasyMOD. And now you have installed another theme in your phpBB site. Am I wrong?

Well, you should do this manually. Try to follow the MOD installation script for the .tpl files. Some styles does not exactly match the subSilver structure, so that maybe an additional handicap. In this case, try to compare the subSilver file with your new style, so that may help you to figure out the differences.

2) In fact, I've been working on something on this direction. Patience is the key here. Rolling Eyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boxter:

Please, keep in mind this MOD was left as beta waiting for the final release of latest version of Categories Hierarchy (currently in beta).

...secondly, I'll probably rewrite all this MOD from scratch. Most of the problems, fixes, ideas will be present on it.

However, I'm pretty busy, at this moment, working on another project.

Quinn
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Thanks Boxter... yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I am doing the manual migration of the templates to the new theme. I was just wondering if there was an easier way... Wink

I did use easymod - too bad it can only be run once or run without trying to re-applying to existing pages using the history as a guide. Maybe some in some future release it will.

Since this is a template update only, I am considering moving the already updated themes out of the /templates and running easymod again after replacing the existing backup info. Then put the already updated themes back in the /template folder... something like that is doable, I think?

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I appreciate your time and attention to detail. I'll keep an eye out for the release of the answer to the 2nd question too!

Quinn

boxter
Starter
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Hi,

Actually I figured out how to get rid of the underlines in the category titles.. subSilver doesnt actually use subSilver.css, it uses the css linked to overall_header.tpl. So I just changed the underline properties in that file.

Andrew

Robert Tetenman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

This is an absolutely great MOD. I love it, my users have expressed they love it as well. With all the MODS out there it takes a really good one to stand out as unique and useful. This one is BOTH!

I do have a question/suggestion.
Once users get used to CFI and begin using it there is a good chance that they will not see or read posts in those forums and categories that are collapsed. It would be great if there could be a 'New Message' flag of some kind on the category (same row as the plus and minus icons) to show new messages when the category is collapsed.

Any chance of this? Does it become more possible if $$ are offerred?

Thank you,
Robert

Guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

That is a great idea actually.. and in reality I don't think it'd be too complex to accomplish... if Markus does not wish to take a hand at it, perhaps I would

though unless the phpBB had that mod to make the unread flags stay around more than just one user session, I don't know exactly how usefull it would be unless your users were vigilant to look for the items each visit

Robert Tetenman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Good point about the unread messages. I am going to be installing the Keep Unread (not sure if that is the name of it) MOD because that is crucial for my users. It is way too confusing and bothersome for them to log out after reading a few messages and then log back in to find that all the other unread messages have been marked as read. I find it hard to believe that this has not been addressed in the newer versions of phpbb.

So, for me, to have the icon to show unread posts in a collapsed category I really need it to either work with the MOD that is available to keep unread messages flagged ot have its own functions to make it happen specifically for the CFI MOD.

I would love to get more input on this and see if anyone thinks it is either useful or possible.

Thanks,
Robert

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DHTML collapsible forum: disabling cookies Reply with quote

Robert: I like your idea. Wink

...maybe using a sign (+/-) image with a different color, or something else. I should analize the cost of getting such information and see what can I do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> phpBB MODs -> DHTML Collapsible Forum Index All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: