Welcome, QuickSearch, FAQ and much more... as portal blocks?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Welcome, QuickSearch, FAQ and much more... as portal blocks? Reply with quote

Probably, you have already seen a couple of new blocks on this site.
  • Welcome: Displays user name (link to profile), user avatar, last visit time, server time, links to view posts since last visit, user's posts and unanswered posts. For anonymous users, instead of user dependent information, it displays the logon form and a message to encourage the visit to register, if not already a member.
  • Quick Search: A form allowing the user to perform quick searchs against the site, altavista, google or Yahoo! ...pretty easy to add more.
  • FAQ: This one allows you to display FAQs as a Portal Block. But not only Forum or BBCode FAQs, you can also display yours easilly. Just create another file using same format as phpBB FAQs and customize a new block with its own title, then add this block to any page and... that's all.
Yes, I know... most of these blocks are based on things already present outthere, but, but... they require MOD'ing some files here and there... Razz

Well, I have also added some changes for instance mixing the Welcome Block with the Login Block, see default FAQs or your own as Portal Blocks, etc. I'm also trying to port forum index and viewforum as portal blocks Smile

I'm going to pack those blocks with a new module called ForumBlocks... no time frame though, probably available in download area in a day or two... or three. Wink

That's it.

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome, QuickSearch, FAQ and much more... as portal blo Reply with quote

markus_petrux wrote:
I'm also trying to port forum index and viewforum as portal blocks

I got it! Smile

I found the way to put inside an IFRAME almost any forum page by just adding the following piece of code after the call to init_userprefs($userdata); and a small javascript addon to overall_header.tpl, so there is no need to port every phpbb script as a portal block. Everything inside the IFRAME will go without Headers and always placed at the forum portal page.
Code:
// MOD ForumBlocks BEGIN
$phpbb_caller = basename(__FILE__);
$mx_root_path = '../';      // <-- relative path from phpbb to the portal.
include($mx_root_path . 'modules/forumblocks/forum_portal.'.$phpEx);
// MOD ForumBlocks END

...still pending to solve a couple of problems:
a) phpbb pages using forms (ie. http post variables) do not work, yet.
b) it seems that PHP (query_string) is blind to the fragment part of an URI (after the hashmark #), so for instance, the links to specific posts and so on do not work.
c) Resize the iframe depending on the contents height. But, it seems to me that it's not cross-browser possible.

The good thing of this approach, IMO, is that there will be no need to duplicate phpBB scripts as portal blocks. Well, people liking phpBB mods would hate to reapply MOD twice (the original phpbb and the block).

More to come...

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome, QuickSearch, FAQ and much more... as portal blo Reply with quote

Well, for now I have stopped development of the IFrame block.

When I find the time (I'm working in various things at a time Confused ), I'll write the documentation for the other blocks and pack them for release.

markus
[Administrator]
[Administrator]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome, QuickSearch, FAQ and much more... as portal blo Reply with quote

I've been spending a couple of days packing the Welcome, QuickSearch and FAQ blocks into a new module, now called mx_tinies.

Soon to be in beta...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    phpMiX.org Forum Index -> mxBB Modules -> mxBB Module: mx_tinies All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: